Monday, July 4, 2011

Jaypee's 1,000-MW Karcham Wangtoo proj to come up by Aug 15

       NEW DELHI: The diversified Jaypee Group's Rs 7,000 crore Karcham Wangtoo hydro power project in Himachal Pradesh is expected to be operational by August 15, much ahead of schedule.

The 1,000-MW hydro-electric project on the river Sutlej is the country's largest in the private sector.

Two of the project's units -- each having a capacity of 250 MW -- have already been commissioned. The third and fourth units are expected to be operational by July 20 and August 15, respectively.

All the units of Karcham Wangtoo project in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh are expected to be running by August 15, three months ahead of schedule, according to D P Goyal, Managing Director, Karcham Wangtoo project.

As per the original schedule, the whole plant was to be commissioned by November 17, 2011.

"Around 80 per cent of the power generated is to be sold to Punjab, Haryana, UP and Rajasthan. The remaining 20 per cent is merchant power that would be sold on a spot charges basis," Goyal noted.

The run-of-the-river project is being constructed by Jaypee Karcham Hydro Corporation Ltd, which is a part of the Jaypee Group.

"The project envisages annual generation of approximately 4,358 million units of energy during a 90 per cent dependable year," he said.

He noted that the four turbines -- each with 250-MW capacity -- at the plant have the potential to generate 1,200 MW of hydel power. These turbines have been manufactured by Germany's Andritz Hydro Company .

Once all units of the Karcham Wangtoo project -- on which work started in April, 2006 -- are commissioned, the Jaypee Group's total installed hydro power capacity would rise to 1,700 MW.

"For evacuation of power, a 216 kilometre-long transmission line has been set up at a total cost of around Rs 1,000 crore by Jaypee Powergrid Limited. The construction work on these lines is in the final stages... likely to be completed by the end of July this year," Goyal said.

Jaypee Powergrid is a 74:26 joint venture between Jaiprakash Power Ventures and central transmission utility Power Grid Corporation of India.

Jaypee Group has also spent about Rs 6.5 crore for various development activities near the project.

At present, Jaypee Group runs two hydro-power projects, namely a 300-MW Baspa-II in Himachal Pradesh and a 400-MW Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand. 

         Related Articles


No comments:

Post a Comment